What do you do when you share about your business with someone and they say NO? Since most of us don’t want to be salespeople, we just want to SHARE about our business, this could be a challenge.
What if I told you that what you say and how you say it can make or break your entire business?
I know this to be true because I was a Realtor for 25 years. I failed miserably for the first 2 or 3 of those years even though I was marketing and learning my trade. I just wasn’t closing. Then one day I was introduced to the idea of OBJECTION HANDLING TECHNIQUES and when I learned them, they changed my life and my pocketbook. I soared from making barely enough to get by all the way to being in the top 6% of my company IN THE WORLD! I owe most of my success to those techniques, and they eventually helped me with confidence enough to grow to the top.
This is the first of a multi-part series about Objections Handling Techniques (OHT) I’m hoping you will participate by sharing your objections below so that we can provide a few responses for you.
For today, we are going to discuss a few important things to know about OHT’s
- There are a FINITE number of objections you will get - (that alone changed my life, because feeling like I would never know everything was overwhelming) There could be 5 or 50 objections, but there is an end.
- Have more than one response to an objection – You may feel one response is better for one person and another for someone else. Having a few would be best
- Keep a list - Save your objections and your responses in a place where you can study them. This way when someone gives you a reason for a NO, you will have it on the tip of your tongue
- Practice with a friend – Role play your responses. If you don’t want to do it with someone, do it in front of a mirror or better yet in a video. Delete the video afterwards if you’d like.
- It doesn’t always work – Surprised? Well, guess what? What if it works 80% of the time or 50%, or even 25%? Would that be worth spending time mastering them? Imagine how that would increase your income.
- Having a response to a NO does not mean you're being pushy – There’s an art to your response and how you say it. Speaking in a comfortable and not salesy way will only make you look like a pro instead of someone who appears insecure or uninformed.
- Do NOT feel rejected - Most people are a NO. People are being sold ALL DAY LONG. They’ve mastered the art of saying NO! However, they need a good reason to say yes. Once you master your techniques, you will build a relationship not a wall. If you’ve ever seen someone is action who continues to have the ‘right’ conversation with someone even after they say no and you watch a friendship or trust unfold, that’s what we are aiming for.
- Expect a NO! - This is not meant to be negative. It's actually a game you can play with yourself. Once you start out expecting a NO you won't be disappointed, you will shift into prepared mode and have your tools.
- Teach your team these techniques – As we begin to share the actual words to say with real objections, make sure you share this with your team. Save this article and make it a part of your training. This one or something like it. When people don’t know how to respond, they fear the NO. Once they master their response, they diffuse the NO. Make sense?
OK, so here is where you come in. In the comments below, add some of your most challenging objections. If anyone wants to chime in with their own OHT's, you are most welcome. If not, I will get to them one by one so look for part II of OBJECTION HANDLING TECHNIQUES – Mastering Your Response to NO
To Your Infinite Success!